[pct-l] Phantom Thru Pain

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Sat Jun 16 08:47:55 CDT 2012

Big Hummel wrote about Restless Leg Syndrome and I understand what he is talking about.

Those of us who have had their thru-hike cut short unexpectedly suffer from Phantom Thru Pain. You've probably heard of those unfortunate people who loose a leg or arm and yet still have pain in that limb suffer from Phantom Limb Pain.

When my thru hike in 2010 was cut short by falling 100 feet off Apache Peak, I went home and obsessed about Apache Peak. Although I have hiked at many places on the PCT including the midpoint near Belden and the endpoint at Manning Park, I was always stuck at Apache Peak when I dreamed about the trail.

Now I finished my 2012 hike at Hikertown. Sure enough, last night another dream of being stuck at Hikertown staring out across the desert, even though I have hiked across that desert twice in the past and I know what lies beyond it. Hikertown is where I will be stuck until I try another thru or at least another big section.

Is there some cure for this disease? I'm tired of seeing the tired little ghost town buildings at Hikertown every time I dream of the trail. Bob is constantly walking around watering things and the chickens won't shut up. Can someone help me?

TrailHacker

--
"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln