[pct-l] Sawyer inline filter

Maxine Weyant weyantm at msn.com
Sat Jun 16 18:29:19 CDT 2012

I used the Sawyer in So. CA this year and liked it.  I used the H2o containers it comes with which are mylar and much lighter than platypus, are easy to roll up really small,  While they seem to withstand squeezing well, they are easily punctured by thorns, especially when full and in an outer pouch of your pack.  The Sawyer seems to fit on platypus and most soda bottles just fine.

I had some concerns about potential clogging with sediment, so I took the pre filter fitting off my old broken Aqua mira inline filter and screwed it onto the bottom of the Sawyer.  The replaceable filter itself is a little fiber disc about 1/2 inch thick.  I have never had much luck pre filtering murky water into a platypus with a bandana or other fabrics and I don't like to dip my drinking cup in filthy water.

You should pre filter glacially fed water and stagnant or murky water.  I know the Sawyer can be back-flushed with a syringe but I didn't feel like taking it on that section hike.

For a thru-hike I'd probably keep a spare Sawyer filter in my bounce box, or just plan on replacing it every 500 miles or so.

Dys-feng shui-nal