[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 54, Issue 20

jimniedbalski at aol.com jimniedbalski at aol.com
Mon Jun 18 12:33:23 CDT 2012

For what it's worth, I know of folks, and have heard of plenty of others, who obtain PCT thru-hiking permits to hike the JMT and avoid the permitting process for it through the national forest, and/or to "keep up the numbers" of PCT hikers by obtaining permits without intent of hiking that particular year. Combined with section hikers, that might explain what may be an unusually high number of permits. No big deal, I guess.

Message: 10
ate: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:02:49 -0700
rom: "Bob Bankhead" <wandering_bob at comcast.net>
ubject: Re: [pct-l] Fwd: Thru hiker count
o: "'mark utzman'" <blackbelthiker at gmail.com>,
<pct-l at backcountry.net>
essage-ID: <000b01cd4ce5$b35730f0$1a0592d0$@comcast.net>
ontent-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
Mark:
700 border-to-border permits seems unusually high.
CTA permits are issued for any distance equal to or greater than 500 miles;
hink "long multi-section hikes".
re you sure those 700 are just for the full 2600 mile border to border
ike, or does that include the permits for less than 2600 miles as well?