[pct-l] inline Sawyer Filter

William Canavan wecanavan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 03:24:12 CDT 2012

Hi Kat,
IMHO definitely go with the Sawyer filter.  I used it this spring on a hike
in the Anza-Borrego Desert leading up to Kick-off.  It was easy to use and
the water I was filtering wasn't skunked up enough that I had to backflush
the filter but I practiced at home and it was easy enough.  I carried three
of the 2 liter bags and one 1 liter bag plus 2 half liter water bottles.  I
labeled one of the 2 liter bags "Clean" and only put filtered water in it.
 On that bag I used a bite valve.  The other 2 liter bags had regular screw
on lids.  The filter has a bite valve.  So I knew anything with a bite
valve was safe to drink.

I forget the total weight exactly but I could carry the equipment for 8
liters of water for about 8 oz.  Your single EMPTY Nalgene water bottle
will weigh about 6.5 oz so you might want to ditch that.

My two concerns: The first with the Sawyer was that I had to fill the bags
somehow.  Most watering places the water flow was too low or too slow too
do what I needed.   I ended up using my camp cup to dip up water to fill
the bags, which incidentally was also the only measuring cup I had.  So
instead of spaghetti I had spaghetti soup, and instead of turkey tettrazini
I had turkey noodle soup.  I went for the wet side figuring I needed the
fluids.
The second concern:  I couldn't use my existing bladder because I didn't
buy the after market adapter hose.  I ended carrying all my water outside
the normal carrying area of packs.  Still, it worked for me.
Good Luck,
Little Brown

Message: 11