[pct-l] Shin splints?

Tom Holz tom.holz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 16:17:53 CDT 2012

In some situations, shin splints are preventable, but it means taking
ownership of you movement and being willing to change the way you hike.
  Mango made a good comment about some ways to reduce hiking stress:

"I'm going back on the PCT in 3 weeks, with a kinder, gentler strategy.
  Less weight in the pack, fewer miles per day, more zeros and more rest
periods."

Very good advice, and I would only add that you may be able to
consciously improve your gait so that there is less stress coming into
your body with every step.

Many people "naturally" walk in a way that is ok for daily life, but
isn't workable on a thru-hike.  You can drive around town for years in a
car stuck in first gear and get by, but trying to merge onto the
interstate to drive cross-country is a bad idea if you don't fix the car
first.

Bigfoot