[pct-l] Cost of a SAR airlift

Ann Marie dbanmrkr at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 17:05:05 CDT 2012

Yeah, I've been curious about this myself. And it seems I've read 4 journals or articles this year alone of 4 hikers being airlifted this year.

I don't have health insurance, but I'm not thru-hiking. I'll be looking for some coverage before I do my hike in 3 years, if not earlier (I've got a pre-existing condition).

I lived in Arizona (Phoenix) before moving to Oregon and now CA. My father required emergency services one afternoon (in Phoenix) after slipping on the kitchen floor and hearing his thigh bone snap.  He had both primary (Medicare) and secondary (AT&T) insurance coverage. We still got billed for the city services (ambulance - private, and fire - public). I don't remember the exact amount but I think I remember it being over $350.  Probably minor considering today's expenses. I'm amazed that in CA more hikers are not left scrambling and destitute by SAR experiences.  Everyone rescued seems okay with their expenses, while not detailing what those expenses may be for those of us on the sidelines (understandable, since that's private info and maybe embarrassing.) As a California resident and soon-to-be thru-hiker, this is giving me a false sense of welfare security.  And I don't like future surprises, so are you hikers being honest with the rest of us?
 Are your out-of-pocket expenses so low you don't need to mention them?

Yeah, it leaves me as a baby boomer, wondering why anyone pays full health insurance premiums to a private insurance company, if I can be rescued by SAR and pay nothing or little. I don't believe it, but hikers are not being forthcoming with their actual expenses or previous insurance coverage.  Please enlighten us, those of you hikers having gone thru this rescue effort....... I'm pretty sure I need some comprehensive coverage and that you are tapping into it. But this isn't being conveyed on this list.

Deb