[pct-l] Shin splints and Kinesiotape

Thomas Jamrog balrog at midcoast.com
Fri Jun 22 08:34:53 CDT 2012

On my AT thru hike I had dramatic results, with close to complete relief after sleeping the night, the day after a massage therapist used Kinesiotape to relieve swelling in my lower right leg that included shinsplints.  What was not explained in the emails so far is that the tape has the supposed ability to lift the skin, allowing for easier passage of lymphatic fluids that night have been restricted by muscular/tissue inflammation due to the shin splints.  Here are a couple of pics of the "spider technique" taping she did for me, also supplying me with two sets of the the cut tape for the rest of the hike, as an emergency supply.  Sort of voodoo, but it worked for me.  I might add that the tape stretches and that the therapist varied the degree of stretch in different sections of the tape as it was applied (i.e. 1st two inches 50% stretch, middle section 90% stretch, etc.).  It is waterprooof tape that lasted three days, when all my symptoms were gone.
Uncle Tom