[pct-l] Cost of a SAR airlift

CJ & Cristy Miller soggy2pair at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 11:27:35 CDT 2012

Deb,

Great points, seriously.
I think a few others have put this in perspective, namely calling out that "SAR" is primarily
 run by volunteers, funded by taxpayer dollars (bonds etc), and often from a "non-insured"
perspective "written-off" by ancillary providers (EMS flight and/or ambulatory svc, et al),
 professionals (doctors, pa, anesthesiologist...et al), and hospitals.

...not to get all insurance crazy about  SPOT coverage, LifeFlight (and other air-services)
 offers an annual membership, along with easily search 'traveler/backpacker insurance' options.

I have, and work for a health insurance company and I most definitely supplement my
regular 'family' policy with a low-premium, super-high-deductible catastrophic plan
to cover my 'adventures'.  And use off-insurance direct-fee-for-service options for
short notice visits/needs.

Feel free to email me if you have questions about what I use, and/or prefer -
I don't want to come across as trying to persuade or sell anything knowing
that we all have different needs, preferences and are getting service
all over the map.

.cj

Yeah, I've been curious about this myself. And it seems I've read 4 journals or articles this year alone of 4 hikers being airlifted this year.

I don't have health insurance, but I'm not thru-hiking. I'll be looking for some coverage before I do my hike in 3 years, if not earlier (I've got a pre-existing condition).

I lived in Arizona (Phoenix) before moving to Oregon and now CA. My father required emergency services one afternoon (in Phoenix) after slipping on the kitchen floor and hearing his thigh bone snap.  He had both primary (Medicare) and secondary (AT&T) insurance coverage. We still got billed for the city services (ambulance - private, and fire - public). I don't remember the exact amount but I think I remember it being over $350.  Probably minor considering today's expenses. I'm amazed that in CA more hikers are not left scrambling and destitute by SAR experiences.  Everyone rescued seems okay with their expenses, while not detailing what
 those expenses may be for those of us on the sidelines (understandable, since that's private info and maybe embarrassing.) As a California resident and soon-to-be thru-hiker, this is giving me a false sense of welfare security.  And I don't like future surprises, so are you hikers being honest with the rest of us?
 Are your out-of-pocket expenses so low you don't need to mention them?

Yeah, it leaves me as a baby boomer, wondering why anyone pays full health insurance premiums to a private insurance company, if I can be rescued by SAR and pay nothing or little. I don't believe it, but hikers are not being forthcoming with their actual expenses or previous insurance coverage.  Please enlighten us, those of you hikers having gone thru this rescue effort....... I'm pretty sure I need some comprehensive coverage and that you are tapping into it. But this isn't being conveyed on this list.

Deb