[pct-l] Shin Splints exercise

Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 24 02:29:23 CDT 2012

Back in the years before fire was invented I was a runner and had trouble with shin splints. I then bumped into a wonderful coach (Jim Fulton) who recommended the following exercises, which have always worked to help relieve the pain. Try them; they are free.

Sitting on the ground, with your legs stretched out in front of you, concentrate on your large toes. Bring them up towards your knees as tightly as possible, and hold that stretch for about 15 seconds. Then try to 'push' them away from your knees  for a similar time. Then do the same exercises, except this time concentrate on your smallest toes. Keep your hands under your knees, or holding the map you need to study. Do these several times, probably before starting hiking and anytime you rest. Easier to do with your shoes off. The point is to feel the stretch in your shins.

Good luck, pain ain't fun -

Spring