[pct-l] Coming or Going to Shepard Pass Anyone?? (July 1st in - July 3 or 4rth out)

James mntmn4jesus at aol.com
Mon Jun 25 22:48:21 CDT 2012

I plan to camp near or at Shepard Pass on Sunday night, July 1st to explore Mt. Tyndale/Mt. Williamson area the following day.  If anyone needs a resupply and can meet me there I would be willing to carry an additional 10 pounds.  If you give me GPS coordinates I will meet you either on the 1st (late evening) or the 2nd (early morning) as long as the coordinates are on the Shepard pass trail (no lower then Anvil Camp)  I plan to camp at the Pothole at just shy of 11,000 feet on Sunday night.  I won't travel any farther west then Shepard Pass at any time.

My Itinerary is to pick up my permit Saturday in Bishop (coming from Reno) and pick up a room in Independence.  I then plan to get up at 3:30 am to be on my way to the Shepard Pass trailhead by 4:30 am on Sunday the 1st.  I plan to be on the trail at 5 am sharp.  If you wish to join me you need to meet that time frame as I want to get an early start to beat the heat in the Owens valley.  My target is to camp at the Pothole which is just shy of 11,000 feet.  The next day, July 2nd, I plan to explore the Williamson Bowl and if conditions permit (and I find a like minded individual or individuals with knowledge) I may make a summit attempt on Mt. Williamson.  If timing doesn't work for us to meet up I would be happy to leave supplies on Shepard Pass as long as you give me exact coordinates (within 50 feet of the trail).  I will then leave your supplies and flag the spot with a note so you can find it.

Possibly the morning of the 3rd I may summit Mt. Tyndale.  I plan to leave the area sometime on July 3rd, but I am not locked into any particular schedule.  I could leave the morning of the 4rth if that fits your schedule better.  I would be willing to take any PCT hikers to resupply and drop them off  at any trailhead from Lone Pine northward to Reno if you want to hike out on the Shepard Pass route back to my truck.  I would be happy to drive you back to a trailhead as long as it is no farther south of Lone Pine's East Portal or north of Reno. (up to 3 individuals).  I have a Toyota Tacoma 4wd with extended cab.  It would be a little uncomfortable for 3 people but we could make it work.

My son and I are planning on climbing Mt. Williamson later this summer (Labor Day Weekend) so this is an exploratory hike and I have  all of next week off .  I climb the regular Mt. Whitney route and Dana Mountain in two days every year and I have climbed Mt. Shasta expedition style so I have a pretty good idea of what I am capable of.

Happy Trails,
Jim