[pct-l] Carrying extra water, which container(s) do you use?

Kathi pogo at pctwalker.com
Fri Jun 29 14:28:13 CDT 2012

Hi Anne,
Planning is so much fun! I have not thru-hiked yet but I've been
backpacking a while and just started section-hiking. Until a few years
ago I always used Nalgene type bottles and that worked fine, but rough
to carry a large amount of water. A few years ago when I did a section
in SoCal I decided I better get a system that had a drinking tube. So I
chose Platypus and have had good luck with it. I carry the Big Zip
Platypus 1.8 L
(http://www.rei.com/product/798147/platypus-big-zip-sl-18l-reservoir-60-fl-oz).
I like the Big Zip because it is easy for me to open the top and add
more water while it is in my pack. One thing I quickly realized with the
Platy is that I don't have a way of knowing how much water is left
without opening my pack. I always carry a 16 oz. water bottle to collect
and treat my water in. I personally use a water filter that this bottle
attaches to. So I just make sure that 16 oz. bottle also has water in it
so if I do run my Platy dry I know I have some backup water. I also
carry a Platypus soft bottle
(http://www.rei.com/product/797977/platypus-softbottle-with-closure-cap-34-fl-oz).
They are VERY lightweight and durable and can fit just about anywhere in
my pack. So if I do need to have extra capacity for a dry section then I
have the bottle to put it in. I also use that for my electrolyte mix. So
sometimes I only fill my bladder halfway and then fill my soft bottle
with Gatoraide or something. Then when I have a snack or lunch I drink
about half of that instead of water.

One thing I found out by mistake with the Platy is that you have to make
sure you don't lay on your drinking tube or it will drain the water out
of your water bladder. I did that the very first night out on the trail
with it. I had filled up my bladder before bed and then was using my
pack as my pillow. The drinking tube was apparently under my pack and I
suddenly realized that the edges of my sleeping bag were wet. I had
drained the entire contents of my bladder onto the floor of my tent by
way of squeezing my drinking tube. UG!!! The new drinking tubes I
noticed have a lock on them, probably for this type of reason.

Happy planning!
Kathi