[pct-l] What do you wish you had done before your thru?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Mar 2 19:49:59 CST 2012

I loved my long distance hikes. There is something you can get from
such a long time out there that you can't really get from shorter
distances. But I think sometimes we revere the thru hike too much.
When I have gone back and done section hikes the thing that I wish I
had done before my long hikes was understand that doing lots of
section hikes is almost better than one big thru. I mean, you CAN
make getting out there into the backcountry who you are now, you
don't have to wait for a big giant long hike.

I overlapped a lot of the trail on my 2nd long hike, and I've section-
hiked parts I've already seen, so one thing I learned was how great
it is to hike parts of the trail I've already seen. I know where the
water is and what it's like. So much fewer worries about water. Some
parts are totally worth seeing again, and seeing them again at
different times of the day or in different weather can turn a hated
section into a loved one.

So my advice to you is section hike! Do week long trips, weekends,
overnighters. And if you can't get to the PCT just hike a lot in your
own local area. It's all good. Playing with your gear is a lot of
fun, too. Make every trip a gear testing adventure.

Diane