[pct-l] Bearvault and DEET

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sat Mar 3 07:10:21 CST 2012

> will my cold and wet hands be able to get the lid open ("so close, yet so far")...

>> Don't worry about your hands being cold, worry about the cold Bear Vault--
>> it will be stubborn at lower temperatures.

Having trouble opening a BearVault (especially when new or cold - or worse, both)?
Use a knife blade, credit car, driver's license, or similar - you can cut down an old card to save a few grams -
or 'make' your own from stiff card stock & tape...
See <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyEbLfL_lSU>...
Now doesn't that seem ridiculously simple?!  - no, I didn't think of it first, but many 'tricks' I 'learn from others'...  ;o)

Regarding DEET: you don't 'need' DEET on the palms of your hands, and you probably don't intend to
ingest DEET while eating, either - so clean your palms after applying DEET, or you can use the backs of your
hands to spread DEET on...
Also beware the 'negative' of getting DEET on some types of high tech outdoor fabrics, too!...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)