[pct-l] Shade

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Mar 3 17:29:45 CST 2012

I did not have an umbrella for So Cal, but I found an umbrella in the
trash in Kennedy Meadows. I tried it out and man I had wished I had
had one all along. The sun just seared into me in 2008 and it was so
nice to finally feel like I was out of it. It wasn't as cool under
the brim as I had hoped, but it did take some of the searing effect
off. I ended up brining that umbrella with me in 09 on my hike from
Santa Barbara to Canada. I had a chance to use it from Hikertown
north and it was great, but mostly because in 09 it rained on me all
through the desert. In high winds it sometimes blew inside out but it
would pop back. I'd hold it with my hands. I used shock cord to
attach it to my shoulder strap so it would be hands-free. Later it
was useful in Washington when it rained all the time. However, in
Washington unless the rain is actually coming down from above, it
provides little value. It seems like the rain in Washington comes
from all directions, and from all those wet plants smacking me in the
face. The only dry spot was the top of my head, yet I unfurled that
thing and walked under the canopy across half the state. Another drag
about it is you can't see very well in front of you if you're really
under the canopy like I would be. I had the spines pretty much right
against my head.