[pct-l] Nobo vs. Sobo

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 13:18:02 CST 2012

I have hiked both directions, and I agree with Francis and Scott W. that more people should go SOBO.

I disagree that it has to be harder.  A hiker could make it harder, or easier depending on how they hike.  Easier terrain (southern California) may lead some to just hike bigger days.  Going SOBO from Canada, to get your hiker's legs going, it is appealing to do short days for a while and enjoy the forests, dip in the lakes, take your shoes off and dip those hot feet in the creeks, ect.   The hardest thing I found hiking the PCT (either direction) was dealing with intense heat.  The weather is was certainly better better for me going SOBO.

I greatly enjoyed the SOBO's solitude, isolation, feeling like a maveric, Washington's wilderness covered in snow and wildflowers, and better weather.  I missed out on southern CA's blooming yuccas and flowers.  Water was a small issue only.

NOBO hikers will always outnumber SOBO's, but it shouldn't be 90+% to <10%.