[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 51, Issue 6

James Vesely JVesely at edmsupply.com
Mon Mar 5 13:49:01 CST 2012

The site says it has a 50 gallon capacity?   Did you use more then one?

Jim

Re: bleach v. pump v. Sawyer

There is another water treatment option I never see mentioned. Aquamira
makes an in-line filter, called the FrontierPro - similar to the Sawyer
but sleeker, slightly lighter (if I remember accurately) and MUCH less
expensive. It uses a replaceable pre-filter, which is about the size of
a quarter and weighs about a gram maybe.  At home install onto the end
of the tubing to your bag (we used a platypus) and hike! Fill your
waterbag (we used with water straight from the source - pond, creek,
tank,etc. - stick the bag back in your pack and drink. No pumping, no
waiting, no taste, minimal weight, sits outside the pack as it's the
mouthpiece as well as the filter, so no volume lost in your pack. On our
'09 thru-hike of the JMT my husband and I each used one. We were the
only ones with them, and were stopped by other hikers and even rangers
who had never seen such things.  You hold or hang your bag above your
pot or toothbrush and squeeze the mouthpiece to "pour" water, otherwise
yo
 u just drink. They aren't carried in any stores we've found, but can be
ordered online at the AquaMira site; look for the Frontier Pro. We've
never used our pump filter since.

 Pct-L Digest, Vol 51, Issue 6

To unsubcribe, or change options visit: