[pct-l] Water Capacity for Cali?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Mar 6 20:08:26 CST 2012

Everybody is different. I am 5'3", female, was 43 and 44 when I hiked
the PCT in 2008 and 2009. Neither of those years were as dry as this
one. 2008 was fairly warm. I live in So Cal and was totally used to
the type of scrub the early part of the trail goes through. It was
also my strategy to NEVER USE A WATER CACHE! This was important to
me. I did use a little out of fear but mostly I did not and I never
actually needed the water I did take.

In 2008 I brought 5 liter capacity and out of fear because everybody
calls the entirety of So Cal a desert and I imagined myself walking
in the kind of stuff you see outside Mojave for 700 miles, I kept all
5 liters full at all times. If I got to a water source and had 4
liters, I filled it all back up to 5 again. I was in agony. It was
really heavy.

In 2009 my strategy was to drink all my water, arrive at water
sources empty, and drink a full liter at a water source before moving
on. I brought Crystal Light lemonade packets to help me drink that
full liter of water. I liked the taste. I brought only 3.5 L
capacity. My strategy worked. For me. In 2009.

I think if I did 2008 over again, I'd go with ~4 liters and try to
drink more of it rather than conserve it, drink deeply at any source
and have a little more trust in the water report.