[pct-l] Nook Simple Touch and Backcountry Navigator Pro.

James Vesely JVesely at edmsupply.com
Wed Mar 7 12:32:08 CST 2012

I posted a video on YouTube showing what is possible with a rooted Nook
Simple Touch.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiLopnLbUIk

What I did after rooting the device was to load Backcountry Navigator
Pro to it to see if it was possible to read topo maps with it.    My
tests are preliminary at this point but I would say that it works fairly
well but there are a couple of draw backs first there is at this point
no GPS and second there is no color screen.   The unit has WiFi so
downloading the maps to the devices SD card is straight forward and the
interface is pretty much the same although a bit slower.   Once the maps
are on the SD card you do not need WiFi to read them and you can also
download Halfmiles waypoints to it just like the smartphone version.

A few of advantages to using a rooted ereader is its low battery
consumption as it uses power only to change the page so a map section
could be left on indefinably without running the battery down and it can
be easily read in direct sunlight.   It can also run many of the Android
apps from the Android Market such as Kindle reader, Google maps, Gmail,
Contacts and others and It can be used for writing trail journals or for
reading books as it was intended to do.

Jim