[pct-l] CA fire permit

William Canavan wecanavan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 22:19:05 CST 2012

Check this link for a fire permit in .pdf.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5346076.pdf

Message: 25
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 09:27:59 -0700
From: Charles Doersch <charles.doersch at gmail.com>
Subject: [pct-l] Three questions to the list for 2012
To: pct-l at backcountry.net

Hi everyone,

As the three of us prepare for our 2012 thru-hike, I was wondering the
following:

1. What ingenious solutions have some of you come up with for bump boxes?
Ideally, we'd like a bump box that can be re-used -- that has a lid that
opens and than can be resealed without too much wear & tear. I guess we've
seen on one of the videos that some folks have used plastic paint buckets.
Any recommendations?

2. I've read that having fresh clothes waiting at the lodge near Manning
State Park is GREAT -- and I can well imagine so. Is it a hassle mailing
clothing to Canada (customs, etc) and having the package wait at the lodge?
I presume we'd have the clothes sent once we were nearing Stehekin -- so
the lodge wouldn't have to hold the package long. But I've read elsewhere
that getting packages across the border can take a long time ~ so we might
need to send it with lots of time to spare.

3. We're just six weeks from our fly out date to San Diego, and I'm still
not finding a current California Fire Permit application that's online.
Does anyone know where I can find one? I've tried the PCTA site (where I
found a 2010 permit). I've tried phoning the Forest Service in California
(not helpful). I've tried forest service sites (so far, no go). Maybe I'm
just missing the right site.

Cheers,