[pct-l] Contributing to Common Ground

Tiffany Searsdodd wherestiffany at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 19:58:47 CST 2012

Hey folks,

I've got a project I'd like to run by everyone and get some feedback. It's
called Contributing to Common Ground, and the short version is that we will
be creating a program for long distance hikers to collect data for a
contributing organization, in exchange for a stipend.

The longer version is that I thru-hiked the PCT in '09 and fell in love
with thru-hiking. Being on the trail for a month or 5 is a completely
different experience than going out for the weekend. I know that I gained
many things from my thru-hike, from a sense of accomplishment and
confidence, to discovering things about myself I hadn't known before. There
were times when I felt as if I wasn't contributing to the world around me
though, and that bothered me. I imagine that there may be people who want
to undertake a long hike, but may be stopped by a feeling that to do such a
thing is "too selfish" to justify. Participating in a program like the one
described above would allow hikers to experience a sense of contribution,
fulfillment and purpose in a way that is broader than the personal sense of
accomplishment one gains from a long distance hike.

Organizations such as The Audubon Society, The Forest Service and many
others are committed to educating and informing the public. Many may not
have the resources to dedicate personnel for the extended periods of time
that long distance hikers spend in the field.

The kind of data to be collected would depend on which organizations we are
partnering with. Clearly it could not be dependent on heavy equipment or
time intensive procedures. Some examples of potential data could be water
or air temperature readings, counting the number of a certain native or
invasive species in an area, or what time a certain flower blooms.

I would love to hear some feedback on the following topics:
1. Do you think this is a good idea? Why or why not?
2. Is this something you or someone you know would be interested in
participating in?
3. What considerations should we take into account while developing this
program?
4. Do you know of or are you part of any organizations that might like to
participate?

Thanks for the feedback!

-Tiffany "Miss Information" Searsdodd