[pct-l] HMG Windrider Ultralight Pack vs. Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus

Tim mgi1984 at motorola.com
Fri Mar 9 15:28:39 CST 2012

Does anyone have any experience with the HMG Windrider?  I have a Mariposa
and I'm happy with its weight and capacity, but I have no knowledge of the
Windriver.  Just looking at the status (the data comes each of their web
sites):

Windriver (Large 20" torso):
pack weight: 25.5oz (This is the only weight I could find.)
internal+external capacity: 2500cu/in + 250cu/in = 3000cu/in
cost: $255

Mariposa (Medium 20" torso)
pack weight: 22.3oz
2 Foam shoulder strap pads = 0.2 oz. (6 g.) each: .4oz
2 Foam hip belt pads = 0.1 oz. (3 g.) each:  .2oz
Removable hip belt = 3 oz. (85 g.)
total = 25.9
internal+external capacity: 2800cu/in + 800cu/in = 3600cu/in
cost:  $170

The two packs differ by only .4oz(Windriver), but 600cu/in and
$85(Mariposa).  I'm still leaning toward the Mariposa.  I think the larger
size would handle a bear canister better.  But I would like to working
opinions on the Windriver.

The Ravens
PCT '96