[pct-l] Contributing to Common Ground

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 19:27:39 CST 2012

Hey Miss Information,  Day_Late here -  remember me from '09.

I think this is a great idea but I did have one issue with what you said.

 to quote:

"There
were times when I felt as if I wasn't contributing to the world around me
though, and that bothered me. I imagine that there may be people who want
to undertake a long hike, but may be stopped by a feeling that to do such a
thing is "too selfish" to justify. "

 All I can say is that if more people started contributing a bit less and
instead went out and did something to improve who they are the world would
need many less contributors.

If I hadn't been thru hiking, like you in 2009, I would have been working.
Works great and all,  but in the grand scheme of things every I do at work
will end up in the landfill within 20 years.  Spending 5 plus months on the
PCT (and 5+ on AT too) has transformed me into a better person.  The value
to me and probably to society as well has been increased by my thru hikes.

We thru hikers should realize that we are soooo lucky and privileged to be
able to do what we do.  At my workplace I regularly have folks come up to
me to discuss my ability to take 6 months off and go do something I love.
With few exceptions most people just can't truly imagine the
possibilities.  They haven't yet learned what is really important in life.

Day-Late