[pct-l] Contributing to Common Ground

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Mar 11 14:24:00 CDT 2012

I remember slowly coming to realize that my hike was not selfish. It
was not even completely mine. The people I met who gave me rides and
helped me a long the way were so grateful to me for what I was doing,
for reminding them of dreams they meant to fulfill someday or
bringing back memories of adventures they had forgotten over the
years. Some saw in me possible answers to their own current problems,
even though I really had no answers and didn't offer what I was doing
as any kind of solution to anything. Most people were just really
happy to meet someone doing something they always wanted to do and
getting a little information on how to do it so they could start
planning their own adventure. People followed my blog online as I
hiked and said that I brought them something to look forward to in
their own lives mired in workaday stuff. Your hike serves a purpose
that isn't all about you.