[pct-l] Horse etiquette

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 22:56:34 CDT 2012

My horse loving friends taught me to pass a rider by waiting (or walking,
if the trail is wide enough) on the downhill side of the trail when the
path traverses a hill.  We can usually scramble out of the way if a horse
gets spooked whereas a rider and horse loosing its footing on the downhill
side may cause serious injury to both as they tumble down a slope or
cliff.  A horse getting spooked and bolting up hill is not quit so
dangerous.

I also quiet my poles and voice and try not to look the horse in the eye
right off as we are predator in the natural scheme of things -- two eyes
that look straight ahead in a narrow field of vision -- and they are prey,
-- eyes on both sides of their heads for a broader view of the world and
predators.

I'm one of those hikers who actually love seeing horses on trail.  I don't
mind the horse crap in the trail so much if it means seeing these
magnificent animals ride past.  I'm just a damn romantic where it comes to
these great beasts.  They are beautiful and I always get a thrill seeing
horse and rider in the wilderness.  Takes me back a few thousand years on
the planet and is always a treat.

Shroomer