[pct-l] How many socks?

dnlcyclone at aol.com dnlcyclone at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 07:55:41 CDT 2012

I'd have to respectfully disagree on the one pair of socks for 300 miles, than second pair for next 600.  For Skurka, that may work, but I think we're getting a little carried away with the lightweight craze.  If there's anything that you carry multiple of...carry multiple socks.  You don't need multiple of any other article of clothing, but socks are one thing that it never hurts to have at least three pair.  I used to do the 2 pair method...but I realized this: they're socks.  They don't weigh much.  It's nice to have dry, comfortable feet.  To each their own for sure.  If you can get by on one pair of socks, by all means do it.  With four pairs of socks, you can be more proactive with changing socks up through the day, and really go a long way toward inhibiting blisters, etc.  Before our daughter was born, my wife and I were in the ultralight category, but after our trip with our daughter, we learned that it's not that hard to carry a couple more "luxuries" and still pack light, if those luxuries weighed as much as a couple extra pairs of socks.  If you end up not using the extra socks...send them home, but it's my guess that you'll be glad you had them.  Uber-ounce-counting often leads to uber-overthinking, and ultimately sacrificing some basic necessities such as dry, healthy feet.  Only my two cents.  Getting jealous of all you hikers hitting the trail here in the next month.  Hopefully we'll see some of you out there this summer!

David Liechty (The Three Bears)
www.backcountryfamily.blogspot.com