[pct-l] convenient last-minute Snow Course 4/21

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Mar 12 13:47:58 CDT 2012

As all of you know, there simply hasn't been enough snow in the Tahoe backcountry to operate any of Mountain Education's Snow Skills Training Course this winter to help prepare high country travelers for safe, over-snow hiking for this hiking season's early months of May, June, and July.

We ran one Course up in Oregon that was a good training experience, especially through one terrific storm, because they had sufficient snow to do it, but that was it so far.

However, we will be receiving lots more snow this week as NOAA http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=South+Lake+Tahoe&state=CA&site=REV&textField1=38.9333&textField2=-119.983&e=0
is calling for snow all week. What this means is dangerous backcountry conditions for the duration of the series of storms and the immediate few days thereafter. Our Snow Basic Courses, 3/23 & 3/30 are still in question.

We will be, again, offering one training course the weekend before the Kickoff, 3/ 21, 22, 23 which is often desired by thru hikers because they can take the course, then conveniently carpool south to start their hikes and attend the KO.

For added info and reliable recon, on our way south to teach the Mountain Safety meeting at the KO, we will ascend Kearsarge Pass to take pix and compare snow levels with prior years for thru hikers at the weekend's event.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150