[pct-l] Fw: Fw: Horse etiquette

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 14:06:07 CDT 2012

I have to add some thoughts to what I posted here. That Grand Canyon advice is terrible advice!  Under no conditions should you stand above the trail to let mules or horses pass. No wonder they have had mules fall to their deaths and had packers injured. If you, as a hiker, can't safely step to a spot below the trail, it would be best to just backtrack until you can find a safe spot or at the end of a switchback. I have hiked on those Grand Canyon trails and am both aware of the drop offs and that there are also wide places where a hiker can step to a safe place and stand there still and quiet. If the packer talks to you, please follow his(her) instructions.

MendoRider