[pct-l] Fw: Horse etiquette

giniajim jplynch at crosslink.net
Mon Mar 12 14:40:54 CDT 2012

This is actually pretty interesting.  I've never seen or heard an
authoritative suggestion about the uphill/downhill question and I've asked a
lot of horse folks about that.  After putting some thought into it, I came
to the downhill conclusion myself: if I slip, I'd rather fall away from the
horse than into the horse.  Plus I've heard that horses are sensitive to
creatures being above them (i.e. predators).  So downhill it is!  This
assumes of course that moving downhill is a safe thing to do; don't want to
put yourself into more danger!
   And yes I love seeing horses on the trail too.  I do not mind the horse
droppings (as long as I'm not knee-deep in it!).

Shroomer says: