[pct-l] Customer Service

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 15:37:41 CDT 2012

In 2010, just north of Ashland I tried on Plain Slice's brand new ULA
Circuit backpack.  It was so incredibly comfortable and straightened my
posture up so noticeably, that I called ULA from trail and ordered one on
the spot.  Chris had it waiting for me a day later at the store at Crater
Lake.  (send to the store, not the PO, by the way unless you want a long
hike for nothing) I've hiked with it ever since although I also have a ULA
CDT I purchased last year at KO when I could get fitted for it properly.  I
love this little pack too.

During my re-hike of WA last summer the zipper on the belt pouch of the
Circuit got tweaked and the main belly band buckle started having a bit of
trouble staying hooked.  I just called ULA to get a replacement zipper and
buckle, fully expecting to pay for the new items and just install them
myself given all the miles I've put on the darn thing.  But I was blown
away when Chris wouldn't hear of it, and just popped a whole new belt
assembly in the mail to me at no charge.  In my new size I might add, a
small as opposed to the medium of my original, and he had the records to
show what size I had originally ordered, as I couldn't remember.

That's customer service!  Personal service too, as Chris has known me
whenever I've called since that first contact from trail.  Great products
are one reason for going with the smaller ultra light companies, but the
personal connection you get with the folks at these companies is another.

If you're new to the ultra light world, there are a number of wonderful
little homegrown companies out there in the U.S. that make products most of
which you can't get at REI, my favorite toy store.  ULA is one.  Then
there's Zpacks, Tarptent, Lightheart, Six Moon Designs, Granite Gear,
Gossamer Gear and more and more.  Eric the Black has a pretty good list of
them with web sites at:
http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/12378/cottage-backpacking-gear-directory/.

When we all started going UL after Jardine's first PCT Handbook came out,
(and some were doing it before) we built and sewed most of this stuff
ourselves.  I have a couple of wonderful Jardine quilts I made years ago
and still use kayaking on the West Coast, and heck, Diane still makes her
own shoes!!  Not to say that making it yourself isn't wonderful, but with
the lightness and quality of the gear coming out of these small, domestic
businesses, their products are hard to beat.

I'm seam sealing my new Hexamid tarp tent from Zpacks right now on a rainy
CA day, and looking over at the wonderful 900 fill down quilt I just
purchased from Joe Valesko, another great guy to do business with, and the
owner of Zpacks.

Anyway there's great stuff out there designed for just what you're starting
out to do, so explore some of the web sites, or come to KO ready to upgrade
if you need to, or just to look at the stuff that's out there.  You may
find yourself ordering something from trail if gear fails or doesn't
perform how you want it to, and it's nice to have seen it all in action at
KO.  The sea of tiny tents all set up next to each other where all the thru
hikers camp is the first place to start.  Hell, I just get excited thinking
about it.  Must be the seam sealer fumes.  Let me open another
window...........

Shroomer