[pct-l] alternative to bread?

Gideon Scher gideonscher at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 18:40:42 CDT 2012

Hi to all

In my hiking, both short and long distance, I carry bread for my lunch as
my starch (supplemented by tuna for protein) as well as for snacking
(peanut butter sandwiches). I carry one loaf of whole-wheat bread for 4
days worth of lunches (i.e 4 slices per lunch, 16 slices in a loaf). I then
carry more bread for snack stops. My problem is that it takes up lots of
space in my pack. I have tried less bulky tortillas, but they go moldy
pretty quickly.

Can anyone please recommend an alternative starch that I can use for lunch
and snacks? I want it be less bulky than bread, provide the same
nutritional value and not require the use of a stove or preparation prior
to eating (no noodles, couscous etc) .

Many thanks,
Gideon

PS: feel free to reply off list too