[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 51, Issue 17

Jason M. jmmoores1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 03:44:49 CDT 2012

Hey Josh,

I'll be going UL this year (sub 8 lbs.) and this is what's in my pack:

(I'll need to test out this system when my new 40 deg. Nunatak quilt
arrives on fri. but this is what I'm carrying with a 32 deg. Western
Mountaineering Hi-lite)

3 Thorlo coolmax ankle socks - 1 worn, 1 drying on pack, 1 for sleep
Exofficio Ziwa pant - worn/occasional sleep
Arkteryx incendo short - worn/sleep/laundry(town)
2 Icebreaker 150 Ultralight Merino wool shirts - 1 worn, 1 drying on
pack/sleep on warm nights (still debating taking the second shirt)
Arkteryx Rhino merino wool base layer top - sleep/ I wear this for first
hour of the day, changing/drying when the sun comes up
Montbell Silk Weight merino bottoms - sleep/ I'll wear for the first half
of day in the Sierra if cold, being sure to leave time to dry before night
REi Ball Cap
2 bandannas
Smartwool liner gloves
Mountain Hardware balaclava
Patagonia Nano Puff pullover synthetic jacket
Montaine Wind Shirt
Go-lite Chrome Dome umbrella
2/3 length Z-Rest
Polycro ground sheet
Spin-Twin tarp
I also have my gal Molasses for warmth at night

The second teeshirt and shorts are a redundancy, but at 5oz for the both I
find that I use them enough to justify the added weight.

As far as down goes: I alway buy 800+, preferring 900+ when available and I
can afford it. My gear list is definitely on the expensive side but most
all of these items have been bought over the past five years - one piece at
a time. My new piece of gear for this year is a Nunatak Arc Edge quilt
system; not cheap but when it comes to down you're always better off
spending the extra cash fer the comfort. If I were to use a 600 fill bag I
would need to carry a larger backpack to accommodate the much larger stuff
size of the bag and the additional weight.

If you can make it down to K.O. it's a great place to test your
clothing/sleep system as the mornings at Lake Moreno are likely to be the
coldest you'll spend on the trail.

hope this helps,
Jackass