[pct-l] Trail food

treerings at gmail.com treerings at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 20:54:53 CDT 2012

My trail diet is not that different from my home diet:

Breakfast: oats/cereal or muesli with soy powder milk. Lara bars for brunch
on the trail.
Lunch: Rehydrated rice and beans with spicy tofu are staples, as are
lentils. Chocolate/gorp/fruit etc. as snacks.
Dinner: First instant miso soup, then rehydrated echiladas, beans and rice
and vegetables, or lentils with vegetables.

I don't eat meat. I don't eat dairy. I don't carry a stove anymore. I
rehydrate in Ziplocks while hiking. I do not eat expensive, unhealthy MRE
available from REI. Read the sodium and cholesterol on those. Aside from
shoes, bag, and backpack, and camera, ultralight backpacking is dirt cheap
when you avoid expensive food and unnecessary and heavy gear.

--
"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy." -Spike
Milligan