[pct-l] Hitchhiking in general

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Mar 16 08:36:57 CDT 2012

Lest people begin to worry about laws and such about hitchhiking,
much hitchhiking is done by asking for rides. I've gotten rides from
the trail just by meeting people on the trail who were heading out
the same day I needed to get off. Many rides were gotten from people
who were parked at the trailhead when I emerged. Some rides were
gotten from people who already knew me and recognized me as I
shuffled forelornly down the road without a ride. Sometimes they
didn't know me but just felt sorry for me. Many people get really
really good at yogiing rides. And all the times I did stick my thumb
out I never saw a cop car go by. They really crack down on
hitchhiking near prisons, not so much near the Pacific Crest Trail. I
hear that they're pretty strict about hitchhiking in Crater Lake
National Park. I didn't know that. I got a lot of rides there with my
thumb.