[pct-l] Hitchhiking

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Fri Mar 16 12:00:16 CDT 2012

Yes, we have "hitched' rides on private planes. We have a friend that
dropped us off at the start of 2 thru hikes. We joke that he flies us to
these remote locations and drops us off to walk home.  We met one of his
friends for the first time at the local airport and he flew us off to Utah.
Quite a way to start a long hike.

Regarding hitching:
One of Marcia's most scary hitching experiences was on the way out of Pagosa
Springs, CO on the CDT. We were walking past a highway junction at the edge
of town. As we passed the junction a car was approaching and turning our
way. I stuck out my thumb and the car stopped. Marcia thought the driver
looked to aggressive as he jumped out and started emptying his back seat.
She wanted to retreat back into town. I had already started talking to the
driver and was comfortable. Then we found out he was an off-duty highway
patrolman and this was his normal beat. He gave us a great tour on the way
back up the mountain. BTW we were on the roadway at the time, but we were
not standing.

Last year in Arizona we were crossing a highway and facing a 1/2 mile hike
(off trail) up the highway to get much needed water. Several cars were
approaching and Marcia stuck out her thumb. Suddenly the last car lit up
with flashing lights and the local sheriff stopped. We explained we needed
water. He opened up his trunk and happily gave us more than a gallon of
water.

We have heard that in Arizona it is not illegal to hitchhike. BUT it is
illegal to pick up hitchhikers.

Ken
www.GottaWalk.com