[pct-l] What do you wish you'd done more of before your thru?

Tiffany Searsdodd wherestiffany at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 14:53:37 CDT 2012

*"During your thru-hike, did you have time and energy for such diversions, or
did the desire to complete on time keep you focused on the trail?"*

This is the eternal dilemma of the thru-hiker. (either that or "how do i
fit all that food in my pack without busting my pack straps?")

My opinion is that if you hike fast enough, you will have time for a few
diversions. Of course then you have to balance slowing down and being
present for a smaller amount each day, or saving it up and taking that time
all at once in just a few days out of the whole trip. I was able to climb
Whitney in CA, Thielson on OR (just an afternoon side trip) and Adams in
WA. I had something like 15 to 18 zero's, (3 or 4 at Kennedy, 2 in Mammoth,
3 in Portland...there were many others sprinkled in) and a fair number of
near-o's. I just realized this might sound like bragging ("oh look at me,
so fast!") and that is totally not what I'm going for. Lots of people were
slower than me, lots of people were faster than me. The point is that while
it was very different than a week long trip, in which I could have spent
the whole time exploring, I still found time to go off the PCT or do my own
thing in town.

And remember, even with all the guidebooks, and marked trail and people, it
is still an epic adventure, new at every turn!

-Miss Information