[pct-l] Canada

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:22:05 CDT 2012

Mark wrote:

If caught, will it be just a deportation, or is it more serious?

I don't know the specific answers to your questions, but here's a couple of
thoughts.

1.  If Canada operates anything like the U.S., they'll deport you but it
doesn't have to be at the time and place of your choosing.  In fact, they
may go out of their way to make it obnoxious for you by, say, holding you
for a month then deporting you to a U.S. port of entry that's farthest away
from where you want to be.  Maybe Canada isn't as vindictive as the U.S.
(they seem to be mellower than us in general) but it's possible.

2.  The PCT community would probably appreciate it if you didn't draw
negative attention to the whole issue of crossing the border at the trail.
The only reason anyone's allowed to do it is because of the good graces of
the Canadian government but if they get the sense that the privilege is
being abused, they could shut down the whole thing.  Note that the U.S.
already doesn't allow any entry via the PCT, period (if I recall correctly).

3.  It's not *that* onerous to backtrack to a road after reaching the
border.  Yes, I get that it's a little anti-climactic but it's some of the
most beautiful trail on the whole PCT and anyway, even if you continue into
Canada you still have to walk another eight miles.  Backtracking is more
than eight miles (I forget right now how far it is) but you have to walk
some more once you hit the border in either case.

Eric