[pct-l] Oregon Section Hikers

Suzi Swinehart suz_quz at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 21 00:08:34 CDT 2012

I don't think I qualify on either the wise or esteemed part, but I do
get excited when Oregon section hiking comes up - hooray for having
something to contribute!

My dad and I have been section hiking Oregon and Washington over the
last few years, and I am happy to share what I've learned with you.
As far as special gear, nothing specific is required. Bear canisters
are not needed. We have seen bears once, but they haven't gotten
human-habituated on the OR PCT and seemed pretty eager to get away
rather than go after your food.

The main thing at this point will be to watch the spring snowmelt.
Last year we had such a strong snowpack that the trail was hidden
through mid-August, but normally Southern Oregon is pretty hikeable
by early August. There can be some lingering snow patches down by
the OR-CA border that are big enough to lose the trail if you're
not careful, especially since you'll just be getting your trail
legs under you, but take your time and you should be fine.

Nighttime temps can really vary. I sleep cold and use a 20* bag,
which has usually been fine, but have needed to put on extra layers
a few times. Other times I've been roasting. The nighttime temps
can really vary, (guesstimate of 25*-65*?) so be prepared. As an
Oregonian I don't think I need to warn you too much that rain
happens ;) We got soaked by it our first year, but it was our last
morning and luckily all we had to do was hike to the car. We learned
our lesson, though!

We hike with a tent that is fairly heavy by thru-hiker standards,
but ours has sentimental value and like you, as a parent-kid team we
do appreciate the roominess. I think ours is an REI half-dome. About
3.5 lbs, but you can divide it between the two of you by having one
carry the poles and the other take the body.

As far as starting, it depends on how important it is to you to hit
the border. We started at the Grouse Gap Shelter by Mt Ashland ski
resort because it had fairly good roads and our friend felt OK taking
her car on them, but we missed the first 17 miles of trail. We had to
complete :)
If you want to start right at the border, I DO NOT recommend taking
the logging roads from Mt Ashland. They were terrible (2 years ago,
anyway). A far better choice is to go through Jacksonville and what
I believe was the Upper Applegate Rd. You still use logging roads, but
they were in much better shape. It got us within about a mile of the
border. We didn't start from Seiad because we wanted to avoid the
huuuuuge uphill start.

There were no agency-issued permits required for any of Oregon...only
self-isssued ones at most wilderness trailheads. This is mainly for
tracking use, and I think, also a vague idea of when you were in the
area if someone goes missing. No fire permits, either. We found that
unlike regular weekend camping, once we settled into the routine of
really hiking all day we rarely wanted a fire at night. Mostly, all
we had the energy to do was crawl into our tent and collapse :)

The one exception I can think of on permits is the Limited Use Area
near Obsidian Falls in the Three Sisters. It's very ugly there anyway.
Move along. ;) Really though, it's only a 3 mile stretch of trail so
it's easy to find a campsite outside of the area.

Late July is usually a little early for the Herd, but then they'll be
moving fast by then and they'll probably catch you pretty quickly. And
if the Sierra stays dry, they might be going through earlier than
usual anyway.

As far as books, I really like the Wilderness Press guides. I know not
everyone is a fan of the wordiness but I found that I LOVED reading
about the surroundings and what to expect the next day. Even if you
just check it out from your library and thumb through it now as you
prep, it can give you a lot of info. Just remember its reputation as
"The Book of Lies" ;) (FWIW, I've only found a few spots where I
thought it to be completely inaccurate. One was describing a beautiful
lakelet on Jefferson as a "stagnant pond", and the other was where it
totally failed to mention the climb at Opie Dildock Pass when leaving
the 3 Sisters.)

Holy cow. I knew I had ideas to share, but this has turned into a
magnum opus. Sorry. I'm sure others who are much faster typists have
answered by now, but what can I say? I got excited. The weeks on trail
with my dad have made some of the best memories of my life. I hope you
and your son can have an equally amazing time.

I'm happy to talk more if you have more questions - let me know!

-Chipmunk
Section hiker '07 - present :)
Eugene, OR

Hello oh wise and esteemed hikers,

I realize we're a bit late to the party, but my 16 year old son, Soren,
(just turned so today) and I (his mother Ripley) are planning to hike
the Oregon section of the PTC this summer. We live in Portland, so our
plan is to enter the trail at the CA/OR border in late July or first of
August and hike home via the Eagle Creek option at the end.

We have begun to train. have read Ray Jardine's book, have ordered our
Eric the Black Atlas for OR (eagerly waiting for it to arrive), and have
just begun to gear up.

I am finding it hard to find info on what we may or may not need gear-
wise just for the Oregon section in August. I am thinking we won't need
snow gear (crampons, ice axe etc) or a bear canister, but wanted to
check with those wiser than I.

Anyone have a guestimate on average temps at night for selecting sleeping
gear?

Suggestions for roomy but light two-person shelter options (wherein the
occupants aren't too cozy- he's sixteen and I'm his mom, remember this:)

Also, where it the best place to enter at the CA/OR border- what
trailhead? And where to get permits for that section alone? I have only
seen CA fire permit info. Does OR require fire permits?

Hope to see and meet some of you on the trail. Am I correct in thinking
thru hikers will also be on that portion of trail at the time?

Any other section hikers doing what we are, we'd love to hear from you
and share info, etc.

Been farming the forum for wisdom. Thanks to all

Rip and Ren