[pct-l] Lightweighting microspikes?

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Mar 21 18:40:34 CDT 2012

Feasible, yes...safe, no.

A low snow year doesn't mean that there will be no snow all the way up to
13,000 feet on Forester's north side in the months of May, June, and July
during thru hiker season.

How much snow does it take to be unsafe? Any unpredictable snow surface
condition on which you are uncertain of your balance or have insufficient
"purchase" or traction with your desired footwear and adjuncts. Every season
we record slip-and-falls on snow-covered traverses (they don't usually
happen on the ascent, but on the traverse and descent) no matter the length
of snow. All it takes is a short, steep berm over the trail on which you
fall and slide into the rocks or trees on the downhill end and get hurt. All
it takes is a nasty suncup with a soft bottom into which you posthole and
tweak your knee, cut your leg on the rocks beneath, or get your ankle wedged
into the rocks below.

Yes, it's feasible to not carry an ice axe or crampons. Many do quite
successfully, but did they have the ability and/or training and/or past
experience dealing with such conditions that enabled them to get through
without being placed in a hazardous situation? Yes, you can learn along the
way (sometimes after sorrow and suffering). Yes, you can avoid many snow
fields and patches, thus the need for the axe and crampons. Can you say for
certain that you will never encounter snow? Can you say for certain that you
will know what to do to get across without a slip, a poorly or hastily
placed footstep, without a fall? Will you always be so in control of your
balance that you can risk not having the ability to self-arrest because you
assumed going into the mountains that the axe and crampons would not be
necessary?

Why take the risk? By the time you get to Kennedy Meadows you'll be in such
great shape that the added safety tools will not matter much to you, anyway.
Take them through to Sonora Pass, at least, then send them home. The key is
knowing when you'll need them, having them in hand or on foot when you do,
and maintaining your traction and balance while using them (of course, this
is all after learning how to use them in the first place!).

We always carry both until, after having been in the mountains for
sufficient time to know the current and local conditions and melt rates per
aspects and elevations of the hills,  we know for certain we can be without
them.

There is a time where gram conscious becomes pound foolish and only you know
where that is for you. Get experience testing your abilities over snow. Then
decide what you want to do without.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education