[pct-l] When was the last fire in the Deep Creek/Holcomb, Creek area

David Money Harris David_Harris at hmc.edu
Thu Mar 22 13:16:47 CDT 2012

Rob,

The area around Little Pine Flat and Holcomb Creek Trail Camp burned in
the 1999 Willow fire.  It was infested with poodle dog bush for a number
of years, but that has gone away now.  It is still littered with downed
trees and is overgrown in places.

I hiked Deer Mountain in 2008, traversing from Shay Mountain.  The brush
was not bad following the ridges.  These are desert slopes and the brush
isn't terrible even when it is fully grown.  Then I hiked back down to
Muddy Spring and followed traces of the old 2W02 Muddy Spring trail back
to Hawes Ranch.  It was horrendous because of the burnt downed trees and
brush on the valley floor.

2W14 from Holcomb Creek to Hawes Ranch and Little Pine Flat is still
open, though the part near Holcomb Creek may be difficult to find from
the south.  It makes a funky bend right near the creek and was in danger
of getting overgrown there when I went through in 2006 or so.

The Sierra Club Hundred Peaks Section climbs these peaks regularly and
routes along the ridges remain passable.  I'm sure you can find a route,
though it may take some ingenuity to route around brush.

The area around Butler Peak burned in the 2007 Butler II fire and
impacted the PCT further east, but that's not relevant to Deer Mountain.

David

Message: 22