[pct-l] Oregon Section Hikers

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 14:30:43 CDT 2012

>I respectfully disagree. I think the PCT between the state border and
Hwy I-5 is stunning if you hike it during the flowering season. The views are
better than anywhere else in Southern Oregon until you hit the very short high
section of Sky Lakes Wilderness Area. I certainly would not want to have missed
it!

Right...and said rock and soil types lay south of Mt. Ashland, Mt. Ashland itself being diorite, and the rocks and soils north of Siskiyou Summit being basaltic or andesitic.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing things like Lewisia cotyledon, L. leeana, Castilleja schizotricha, Silene campunulata, and other ultramafic plants south of Mt. Ashland.  The views of the valley between Mt. Ashland and Mt. Shasta and the mountains beyond were exceptional!

-Nate the Trail Zombie
Newberg, OR