[pct-l] Camera

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Mon Mar 26 15:16:16 CDT 2012

On Mar 26, 2012, at 3:48 PM, mark utzman wrote:
>    I wanted to ask for advice about what camera I should carry with me on
> my attempted thru-hike. I am not a photographer, so I don't need high tech
> gadgets, just something that will give me good pictures and maybe be able
> to record videos. I am looking at two cameras; Canon Sureshot  or the Nikon
> Quickpix. I'm not sure what model to get, there are several each has, or
> how to keep them charged on trail, do i need multiple batteries, do I need
> several memory cards, etc. Any help and advice would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks,  Mark

Consumer camera models change too fast for me to give specific recommendations
but here are a few things to consider:

-- check out www.dpreview.com for in-depth reviews and comparisons (great site)
-- prefer regular batteries (AA, AAA) over custom rechargeables
-- use Lithium batteries for longer life (and less weight)
-- ignore the mega-pixel wars and focus on the lens, bigger is better
-- ignore 'digital zoom', focus on optical zoom
-- image stabilization is helpful (especially when zoomed)
-- don't put all your pictures on a single memory card
-- consider backing up your memory card(s) to disk in town (Walmart, CVS, etc)

-- devise a scheme to have your camera within arms reach (without) taking
   off your pack.  A camera in your pack is next to useless.

-- take pictures in town as well as on the trail and of people as well as nature

Radar