[pct-l] Camera

David Money Harris David_Harris at hmc.edu
Tue Mar 27 15:42:08 CDT 2012

Mark,

I got an A1200 through Amazon and it was dead on arrival with purple bands across the image.  Then I got a second one and it died 29 days later, just in time to return.  The higher-quality Canons with AA batteries are superzooms that are too heavy and won't fit in my pocket.  I've also burned through several more expensive Canons over the past 5 years from blowing dust in the lens or a drop.

I went for a Panasonic TS3 instead.  It's rated to survive a 6-foot drop and is waterproof.  It geotags the images, which I have come to love.  The image quality is good, it has image stabilization and HD video, and it's responsive and fits in my pocket.

Battery life is shorter than average, so I carry a second battery and will send a charger in the bounce box.  Interestingly, the GPS isn't the main cause of short battery life, and it appears the GPS performs better than competing models.

There's now a TS4 with a faster CCD imager, but I've heard mixed reviews of Panasonic's CCD image quality.

David

Message: 14