[pct-l] Starr's Guide to the JMT

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Wed Mar 28 19:07:14 CDT 2012

I have a cherished first edition 1934, signed by his father, Walter Starr
Sr. If only guide books were written with the passion and adventurous spirit
that Peter Starr gave us in his words. The early Starr editions describe
Sierra trails that are no longer maintained, and a JMT that few hikers would
know today. I've read the "Missing in the Minarets" book and it is one of
the finest searches ever documented in the Sierra. If you love Sierra
history, I recommend it.
~~
That's great to hear those books are still around. I read "Missing in the
Minarets" by William Alsup--a wonderful recount of the search for Starr and
in the telling, some great history of the region.
--Jo

My 1962 Starr's Guide also lists trails that have since been abandoned.
I wish I had a summer to just explore the southern sierra and it's
abandoned trails... A nice goal!!!