[pct-l] crocs or...?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 23:57:54 CDT 2012

Most folks find that crossing rivers and creeks is so frequent in the High
Sierra, that walking in wet shoes and boots is preferable to the loss of
time on trail changing in and out of footwear.  And I agree with Jackass
about not wanting to be in crocs on some of those deep and dangerous
crossings.  Don't underestimate the danger.  13 people died last year
crossing streams and going over waterfalls in Yosemite alone.  It was a
high snow year, but every year folks are killed in the waters of the High
Sierra.  That being said, most of us wanted our best and most reliable
shoes, the ones with the best tread, when crossing those streams.  For many
of us, the streams of the High Sierra in 2010 were the single most
dangerous aspect of the whole PCT experience that summer.  If you want
Crocs for camp shoes they're great, and Amoeba has thru hiked the AT twice
in them, and long portions of the PCT as well, but in my opinion they would
endanger you on serious river and stream crossing.

Shroomer