[pct-l] driveability of Seiad Creek Rd

Janette Storer janettestorer at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 13:10:49 CDT 2012

Janette Storer

________________________________

as this is close to where I am planning on hiking this summer I would love to see the picture, but it says it is password protected?

Message: 8
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:52:40 -0700
From: "Deems" <losthiker at sisqtel.net>
Subject: [pct-l] Drivability of Seiad Creek Rd (48N20) to PCT (mile
    1677.25)
To: "pct" <pct-l at backcountry.net>

The Cook n' Green Pass road as we locals know it is passable by a car. You
may have to roll an occasional rock off the road tho. It looked fine when I
drove up it in Jan2012 for my 37th full moon hike. However, it has never
been recognized as a PCT section;  it's vaguely at best an alternate
shortcut route.  The Devils climb trail from Hwy96 to Kangaroo Springs is a
very old trail and has been the original PCT for many decades long before I
first hiked it in 1976.
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/72979837
~~
some people posted about driving up the Seiad Creek Rd to the PCT to avoid
the steep climb out of Seiad Valley.  My wife and I are planning on doing
some section hiking this summer and this option is appealing.  I have
traveled back country forest service roads before and understand they
usually are full of potholes; but how drivable is this road?  Can a normal
road car make it or does it require a high road clearance car?

thanks,
Dennis