[pct-l] Conditions on San Jacinto 3/31/12

J J pct2010 at ridgetrailhiker.com
Sat Mar 31 16:29:40 CDT 2012

This just in . . .

I just talked with Ben, the manager of Nomad Ventures in Idyllwild, and asked him about conditions along the PCT on San Jacinto. His general observation: passable, not advisable.

The worst conditions are around Apache Peak. Postholing in a number of places along the trail.

I had heard that Eric D made it through okay, but most hikers who have come through so far have gone around for a road walk, or skipped San Jacinto.

Ben said conditions could improve significantly in a week or so. His observations are based on hearing from a number of hikers and climbers, not specific experience this season. But Ben has logged many days on San Jacinto and knows the mountain.

This is the best I can come up with now.

Each hiker has his or her decision to make, and I cannot guarantee any of this information.

Walk well,
J J