[pct-l] Tarptent seam sealing

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sat Mar 31 19:19:47 CDT 2012

Ryan:

See http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_sealing_silnylon_seams.html

Or http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html

-----Original Message-----
From: pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net [mailto:pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Ryan Clark
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 4:37 PM
To: pct-l at backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Tarptent seam sealing

Ok so round two. Stirred, kneaded and mixed  like crazy for nearly 20 min. It never dissolved. It turned white and got a littler gooeier but never thin enough to spread with foam brush. And def not close to the "olive oil"  consistency the tarptent video says and shows. I'm going to go buy some mineral sprits and try that instead.
Any more tips?
Thank you all

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 30, 2012, at 7:29 PM, CHUCK CHELIN <steeleye at wildblue.net> wrote:

> Good evening, Ryan,
> I’ve used silicon in solvent quite a bit – in fact that’s all I’ve used on SilNylon – and it takes several minutes of persistent stirring and squishing of lumps to get it “hom0ginized” for spreading on seams.  It has always worked great.
> Enjoy your kneading,
> Steel-Eye
> -Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT – 1965
> http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
> http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/
>

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Ryan Clark <kamikazehummingbirds at gmail.com> wrote:
> How long does it take for the silicon take to dilute in the pair thinner. It seems to be taking forever. Don't know if this is just how it works or what!
>
> Sent from my iPhone

To unsubcribe, or change options visit: