[pct-l] PCT Planner update

Craig Giffen cg at lunky.com
Tue May 1 12:53:18 CDT 2012

Hey everyone,

I made a significant update to the PCT Planning program recently.  Because there was a lot of internal changes to the code, I've put it online as a "beta" version at a different web address.  I didn't want to put it online right when a lot of PCT thru-hikers were leaving.  Probably in a couple weeks I will update http://www.pctplanner.com with the new code.

Here is the beta url:
http://beta.pctplanner.com

This version adds:
* about 70 new places to start/stop/resupply at.  Some points are just highway crossings, this is geared more towards section hikers.
* a bunch of improvements to the interface

* updated to use the 2005 PCT Data book.  I'm waiting to get the 2004 Oregon/Washington guidebook from the Portland library so I can do any further updates since the 2005 PCT Data Book uses the 2000 edition of the OR/WA guidebook.   I would also still check with Halfmile's trail notes for any further trail changes since there are a few.

* If you are on the trail now, the ability to update your most recent arrival location and date; this will adjust the rest of your plan accordingly.

* A "Live Map".  This idea I've had for years and never got around until now.   Basically, you can select one of your hiking plans to be the plan that is used to show your current position on a text map.  The "map" updates every hour.  This will obviously only be accurate as your plan is.  You can set a trail name/nickname and link out to your trail journal if you wish.   Since I know some people want to be anonymous and my name is not Mark Zuckerberg, I have made this feature "opt-in".

Please let me know if you find any bugs/etc or something doesn't make sense.  I've been too close to the planner this past month to take a step back and notice any obvious errors or where something could be confusing.

take care,
Craig

p.s.  Next year the planner is old enough to drive a car!