[pct-l] Snow impasses?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu May 3 07:28:10 CDT 2012

Good morning, jmhow01,

Impassable (impossible?) snow routes are very much created in our own minds
based upon some combination of what we know and/or what we don’t know.  Usually
the absolutes of “impassable” and “impossible” are not really true, they
are just reflections of a hiker’s experience and motivation.

"It's what people know about themselves that makes them afraid."  - Clint
Eastwood in *High Plains Drifter*

Sometimes people charge ahead and accomplish a feat before the “experts”
have time to tell them that it’s impossible.  Other times very experienced
hikers avoid unfavorable snowpack circumstances merely because they know
what to expect, and the result just doesn’t compensate the considerable
time, effort, and discomfort associated with doing it.

A few years ago Chris Bailey wrote about crossing the Sierras in a heavy
snow year.  The piece titled *“Impassable” is a State of Mind* can be found
as a part of this PCT-L post:
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2011-February/045998.html

More background information about snowpack hiking can be found at:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264464

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264576

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264671

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264768

One difference between serious winter alpine or north-country treks and
crossing the Sierras during the typical hiking season is this:  Just about
anyone can head north from Campo.  Hikers learn along the way, adapt, and
by the time they reach the worst of the snowpack they have to make
decisions.  Conversely, most people involved in the more serious winter
efforts are usually experienced and prepared ahead of time.

The Sierras can – theoretically – be crossed anytime, given sufficient
training, preparation, and luck, but an April crossing would mean several
additional difficulties:

-  There will likely be few – or no -- tracks to aid in route-finding.

-  Many of the customary support facilities along the trail won’t be open.

-  Hiking will be very lonely; a situation that really gnaws on the mind of
some people.

-  Packs will be heavier with gear and consumables because of the
additional time, effort, and lack of convenient resupply points.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/