[pct-l] Snow impasses?

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri May 4 02:04:47 CDT 2012

I did the PCT back in 1974 and went through the sierra on snow shoes. My
resupply points were Lake Isabella, Cedar Grove, Tuolumne Meadows, and Echo
Lake (hwy 50). It was, as Diane said, common in those days to carry a
"heavy" pack and go 10 or more miles per day over snow (my supplies were for
18 day intervals).

Unfortunately for me, my snow shoes disintegrated within 100 miles of their
first use (had to toss them out in Cedar Grove) and I learned, thereafter,
how to continue on simply using my full leather boots over snow. On
springtime consolidating snow, it is easy to walk on the surface when it is
hard in the mornings, hazardous when it becomes slippery and softer as the
morning wears on toward noon, and down-right exhausting in the afternoons
"wallowing" through it as you "post-hole" from one step to another.

Mountain Education still conducts skills training trips into the sierra
during May, June, and July to teach the safety techniques you're concerned
about. The only place we have ever had to "chop steps" in the snow is on the
south side of Forester in the chute in May before anyone (pct thru hikers)
has yet gone over it. Otherwise, even Mather is an easy "kick up" the
central bowl.

Diane is right, also, in saying that most backpackers just want to walk dry
trail and not have to deal with the balance and traction uncertainties over
snow. Granted, I didn't have much choice in 1974 as the snow levels I had to
deal with lasted to the middle of Washington before I saw much dry trail,
but I got good at staying safe while walking over snow (especially those
nasty, steep traverses you often have to go across!). The real safety issue
comes when hikers believe even short stretches of snow will be "no problem."
Always go slow and be careful with each step on sloped snow, especially with
flexible shoes. Even slipping and falling into a sun cup can be more than
memorable.

Also, be aware that following the main "trough" trail through the snow may
be slippery, too. Just keep in mind that in the mornings after a freezing
night the surface of the snow will be crusty or slippery until it warms in
the sunlight. Thereafter you will have some traction if your footwear has
some lugs that will dig into it. However, pushing off your toes, like on dry
trail, may not be possible as you may slip. You'll need to get used to
"flat-foot" placement of each step so you don't slip. For these morning
starts, we will always consider using the Kahtoola KTS crampons we carry
when the slopes are slippery. They give us considerable confidence, security
in balance and foot placement, and relieve any fears of sudden slippage
underfoot. "Micro spikes" do not work on steep traverses, so if these are
what you choose to bring, plan on going straight up your passes.

This year, it is safe to assume that May will look like June, June like
July, and so forth. Snow shoes you will not need.